Ask Us Anything: Staff Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goblizz, Aug 15, 2016.

1. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,576
    There were a couple of these threads in the past, and the community always came up with interesting questions :) Since all the others are dormant, I'll be starting a new one!

Ground rules:

- Keep it appropriate.
    - All questions must be within the bounds of server rules.
    - Mods can opt-out if they wish to not answer.
    - Questions can be directed at a certain mod, mod groups, or the entire team if you wish.

Ask us anything!

#1 goblizz, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. Piquno

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ EcoMaster ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +480
    who's is everyone's favourite user? And Nicest user?

#2 Piquno, Aug 15, 2016
  3. Kissthis

Kissthis Escape Artist
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +541
    I try not to have favourites as a mod.... BUT @oootopia is my oldest server friend & one of the nicest people on server!

#3 Kissthis, Aug 15, 2016
  4. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    At whole staff:
    Have you ever dealt with a situation where you questioned your capability as a staff member? How stressful and difficult can the responsibility of being staff truly be?

#4 12345shane, Aug 15, 2016
  5. Kissthis

Kissthis Escape Artist
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +541
    Yes . I'm not 100% confident when I'm modding on-peak, as i'm used to the quieter off-peak environment. Thankfully the staff team is amazing at helping with questions and advice for sticky situations!

6. Drewbo_

Drewbo_ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What was your difference in wpm (words per minute) from before you were on staff versus when you got on the staff team?

7. SCgenesis

SCgenesis Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +245
    At server admins: why do you label perma bans (permanent bans) perma bans even though yet are often successfully appealed.

Also, if a player breaks the rules so many times or so seriously that they warrant a permanent ban, why would you ever let them back or even consider an appeal from said user?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  8. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    There's so many nice users that there's too many to list :)

Absolutely. There's been a time where I was solo, listening to a discussion on TS, handling multiple ingame PMs, as well as moderating global. There's a lot of multitasking involved with staff, and if it's not handled well it can stress people out.

A lot xd
    But for real, probably a 5-10 wpm bump after I got staff (and stayed) versus before.

9. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    I like entirely too many users to say, but @Kissthis is kind of my og homie as well as @Jmillertime, without whom I would still be poor. @Imabankthing has been entirely too generous to me. The rest of you, you know who you are, we talk everyday :3

Yes, and it was very stressful because I had to make a decision regardless of the fact I didn't know what that decision should be. You have to react fast and you're usually going to piss at least one person off. And if you mess up the whole server roasts you xD. Most of the time though, it's pretty chill.

WPM is no better or worse but my wrong chats have increased 7 fold!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. zr2002

zr2002 Nub Moderator
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +3,161
    Yes, this has happened to me once or twice before. One of the most stressful things is getting into a situation and not knowing what to do. But as @Kissthis said, if a staff member gets into one of these situations there are always other staff members willing to help make a decision :).

No difference.
    ^

11. dgam02

dgam02 ♫ Shitposting Ex-SA ♫
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,377
    @DiamondDesire is my fav cause she's been with me through everything and I trust her with everything. @GeorgiaMC is also up there but she's a scrub.

I've been around for almost 5 years. Been watching this server change so much through all this time and I've witnessed countless situations handled by staff weather it be ingame or on the forums. Despite all my prior knowledge, there were times where I had no idea what to do for something. The great thing about our team is that if we don't know something, we can go to someone else for help.

In terms of stress, sometimes you might feel a bit under pressure but it's not like bad stress. Any position with responsibility holds some sort of level of stress, but having people there for you to help you out is one of the main reasons why I've never felt too stressed out during my time on staff. When you start off as a staff member it's always gonna be difficult, but by building a network of support and friendship with your peers, you drastically reduce the difficulty and you learn a lot.

I've always been over the 100 wpm speed, but @MadMonster_ is a fast bugger. Wrong chats definitely increase when you join staff lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Potato Potato x 3
    • List
  12. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    True that *mumbles*

• Like Like x 2
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #12 oootopia, Aug 15, 2016
  13. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Interesting couple of questions. I'm probably not going to give you the answer you want as while ServerAdmins have a fair bit of influence on this point, we don't get the final say.

One major case with these is scamming, and occasionally people who've committed massive scams will be let back from previously stated permanent bans. Personally if someone's committed to repaying their debt, I don't see much harm in keeping a close eye on them and giving them that chance once or twice. Sure, some of them go back to their old ways. Other times however they'll go above and beyond to repay those debts early. I think that allowing people to get their money back where I think that it might actually happen is far more important than upholding the "permanent" integrity of a "permaban". It says we value players more than the arbitrary label of a ban.

It really boils down to "do we think that this particular issue will continue to be an issue or will they be a pretty decent person". Ultimately, sometimes we're right. Sometimes we're not. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  14. Zedoker

Zedoker ~|Huggable Ex-GameAdmin & Ex-Tomkfc Lover|~
    ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,312
    Can old staff answer questions? @goblizz

15. ToCatchAHansen

ToCatchAHansen Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

Ratings:
    +410
    To moderators: Has there been any now/former staff when you were not a staff member you looked up on?
    To Smods: Are there any people who you would turn to if you were in a situation you didn't know how to handle?
    To GAs: Are there any specific things you do that you find the easiest out of your daily moderation tasks.
    To SAs: Do you ask Andrew for his final decision if you can't make a final decision by yourself on a certain task or do you ask the moderators lower then you to help you?

16. oootopia

oootopia Utopian

Ratings:
    +4,954
    As things happen we have a kind of open discussion with the whole team and we make decisions together. The team is a constant resource for me as I do anything, we are really quite a close group, to be honest. Users like MadMonster_, Dgam02, zr2002, Imaginex, all the GAs and of course Clar and Nicit are wonderful resources but the people online are are constant resources to one another. But just as much, Kissthis, bobman, goblizz, a_man21, apple, Zedoker, and many more have been great resources to me as needed.

17. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Heck I don't see why not; if the question is directed at a group (i.e. Moderators, do you like X? Or something) then I'd like to keep it to current staff. But questions like @Vortlex's sure

18. SCgenesis

SCgenesis Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +245
    At all staff, inproticilar the administration team again: why is the server moving towards an adult server and farther away from a child friendly server? (Such as allowing swearing, harsh topics, edgy subjects, ect) am I the only one that thinks it's sad? Maybe I'm the only one:(

19. zr2002

zr2002 Nub Moderator
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +3,161
    Apps in the builders+ section :p

20. 7amoodw

7amoodw Electrical and Electronics Engineer
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +5,209
    My boys and fam @TeamRheas (@BackToThePast @xX3PICREBELXx @Phantomine @Kick_Me_1235 @matrix_rep @Dccciz @KvBronze @shadowballxx1 ) lots of fun memories with you all hope you come back active.

@GeorgiaMC for being a great friend of mine

@Nicit6 @Dewsy92 @ClarinetPhoenix for teaching me and making me a better person.

I have but when it's done I feel good and feel better than before. Learning is key to improvement. It can be very stressful but trust me you learn a lot from it.

It got better. I think.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #20 7amoodw, Aug 15, 2016