Bring Back Private chat channels

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jacob43365, Jan 7, 2016.

1. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    "don't see any" my ass. It was removed because it quickly becomes a logistical nightmare.

#21 kukelekuuk, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. SuburbSomeone

SuburbSomeone Shrubby Tycoon
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +6,479
    What's so terrible about having one channel for one server? Most people will still be on the main server anyway. I do feel that a cross-server communication system outside of global is necessary, but there is really no need for chat channels to be on more than one server. Trade, Auction, Trivia, etc. are not on the lobby server - why would these be? My apologies, Kuke, but I think you're missing the point.

#22 SuburbSomeone, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    This^

But let's even say that we want cross-server channels: if it can be done for one channel, it can be done for many channels and, once you do it the first time, it's easier to replicate what you've done once. I don't see a logistical nightmare in this, it's not as if we're asking a million different ad-hoc solutions to a million different problems.

4. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    It's not that it's difficult, it's that it's tedious going through each server and creating a channel. The chat plugin ECC uses isn't meant for cross-server communication.

#24 kukelekuuk, Jan 9, 2016
  5. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Splitting up the community, by default, is a bad idea. When having different parts of the community not share the same forms of communication, all you're just doing is segregating one server from another.

All chat channels should remain inter-server as they bring the community together through social interaction. Having chat channels be segregated from other server is a big mistake.

6. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    It's tedious also to define regions, remove lwc's, etc. If it's tedious, just require a high-enough fee, and you also have a way to take ecd out of the economy

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  7. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    No it was removed to spare time and effort in doing it manually...
    However harsh that sounds to the higher ups (and it doesnt mean to sound rude) but thats the bottom line of it.

Same reason we dont have purchasable custom teamspeak channels, because it has to be manually added by someone who needs a lot of access, which isn't many people, and those people are already busy as it is doing other things.

Town Chats should come back, will they? Probably not,
    Youll get told the McMMo Party system now serves as the same thing a town channel use to, even though it doesnt as /party doesnt help builders in towns and other things like that..

+1

8. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    So charge on a per-server basis. You/your group gets to decide which servers they would want channels on and pay for them on those servers. People are willing to drop a ton to keep their group/party/etc together and so I don't see why not just balance out the cost with the actual work involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    I believe it's better to create a cross-server party chat solution, and then charge people to have a party chat. Herochat channels have an inherent problem with passwords being leaked, and unwanted people entering. You have a finer control with party chats.

#29 kukelekuuk, Jan 9, 2016
  10. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    How do party chat work? I've never seen one

11. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    You have a group of people in a party, and you chat with those people. It's really just because parties can be public or invite only. And owners of the party can kick anyone they want.

12. GStoner3

GStoner3 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +364
    The difference between Party and Town (as it was) is that Town Chat channels can be joined and left without needing the "owner" online to re-invite members. Party requires the initiator / owner of the party to be online.

You can only belong to one Party chat, can be in multiple town chats (not sure if at the same time or not tho...)
    You can PvP against people in the same town chat. One of you must leave a Party to be able to PvP (eliminating Party usefulness in SG)
    Town chat does not NEED to be passworded, but it CAN be. Party is invite only.

13. kukelekuuk

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Although our current party system disallows being in multiple parties, it doesn't mean it has to be this way in a cross-server party system.

14. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    That's fair. My only concern with party chat is the fact you can only be in one. If that were changed, party chat would be a better option than private chat channels.

15. Jacob43365

Jacob43365 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $4,850,049
    Ratings:
    +495
  16. UnitedStates2

UnitedStates2 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,302
    You both have points - Kuke is right about party chat being more easier to administer as chat channels come with the problem of unwanted people entering. Nicit is right about chat channels being better in general, as you can join multiple chat channels and they can be cross-server.

Thinking about it, I think I can offer a solution that best serves both on your points in general - We allow users to apply for private chat channels (Nicit's idea.) and give the owners of the chat channel moderator powers in the channel (Herochat has it's own moderator permissions - These permissions allow moderators of the channel to kick and ban users.) thus making it easy to administer and this will keep unwanted users out of the channel. (Basically kuke's idea.)

17. TheBuckeye11

TheBuckeye11 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +184
    /ch l people in the town, its not so hard...

18. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6

Ratings:
    +8,058
    What if the people I want to talk to aren't in my town? Aren't mining with me? In a different world? On another server? I have more friends than the ones within 400 blocks and I should be able to share a private chat with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. GStoner3

GStoner3 President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +364
    Or if the town is bigger than 500

20. TheBuckeye11

TheBuckeye11 Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +184
    There is always global, pm, skype, or you could wait a little, point is it's not necessary. Lets not waste time when there are more important thing to get set up and prepare for. Lets have the hub figured out first.