Tell Me What Makes a Good SG Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmichael214, May 13, 2017.

1. jmichael214

jmichael214 Back Again, Apparently
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    So, I really enjoyed building the spawn, and I've been running around in SG lately, looking at the maps. I think it would be fun to build one. NOTE: I have not been asked to build one, this is not part of a build comp or anything. I just might build one and see if the server likes it enough to add it.

But I don't play SG, and so I don't know what makes a great map, a mediocre one, or a bad one. What is most important? Space to maneuver? An ability to use more than one type of weapon (i.e. ranged v. melee)? More or fewer hiding places? Chest placement? If you're a great builder but a horrible SG player (that's me), a lot of these questions are sort of mysterious. It wouldn't be any use to the server if I built a map that looks great but is no fun to play on. What makes the current maps good, bad or ugly?

Also, it sounds (in global) like the two biggest complaints people have are teams and kits? Are there design elements which would lessen the advantage of either of those things?

I'm going to tag a few people that I know play SG a lot, or used to. If you guys could spread the word a bit, the more feedback I could get on this, the better.

@matrix_rep @BackToThePast @austinsplaneguy @Drewbo_ @accusolHD @wolfspy7 @BaccaAMP @purplelegoender

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    #1 jmichael214, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. ThatKidArshi

ThatKidArshi Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +323
    No camping spots

3. jmichael214

ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Places where a player can just sort of hide and wait for everyone else to kill each other off, you mean?

4. Drewbo_

Drewbo_ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd personally like it if there was;

- A balanced number of chests
    - Not to high of peak places that are accessiable, like mountains, towers, etc
    - A few hills, so bows aren't overpowered
    - No lava
    - No traps

These are just a few but this is just my opinion

5. Mission001

Mission001 Ex-EcoLegend HⱻặĐHůƞẗǝɍ
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $495
    Ratings:
    +6,478
    Lots of corners and camping spots

Needs to be open spaced, I hate with most multipleyer gamemodes on all games are very linear and only have say 3 pathways (looks at League of Legends) Most of call of duty maps essentially boil down to 2-4 pathways from each end of the map.

I like some open world aspect of a map but enough cover to not make long ranged weapons overpowered.

#5 Mission001, May 13, 2017
  6. LJKAzrael

LJKAzrael Freelancer | Ikigai
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +372
    I have played very little, but all of the maps seem quite large for the current number of players joining. Perhaps a smaller CQB styled map? I would find it interesting to do some room clearing in Minecraft, go to the second floor to fire some arrows through a window, then jump through a blast hole on the side of the house to the adjacent rooftop for a get away shoot and scoot style. Honestly, a variety of maps catering to and promoting a variety of strategies / play styles would be nice.

#6 LJKAzrael, May 13, 2017
  7. strongpelt

strongpelt ~*Alaskan Sponsor*~
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,065
    This one id say kinda depends on each person. Everyone has their own styles.
    Example: A pvp group or a really good pvper will most likely hate hiding spots as they want to just get right to the action.
    A person against a group would probably like the hiding spots more as they can wait for a bit, or even use the spot to do a surprise attack.

8. Drewbo_

Drewbo_ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, this is important. Small map, don't make it too big or else games take way too long.

9. jmichael214

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Also, it sounds (in global) like the two biggest complaints people have are teams and kits? Are there design elements which would lessen the advantage of either of those things?

10. CatLLC

CatLLC Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +88
    secret rooms with chests, enchant tables etc are fun to find

11. CatLLC

CatLLC Builder

Ratings:
    +88
    personally, i don't like parkour in sg maps. I come to pvp not jump but other people might like it.

12. oxwood2

oxwood2 Builder
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,684
    No water, no lava, no camping spots, smaller in size.
    Designed to force fighting. Some hills to make bows less effective. Not a lot of open space to prevent running around for 10 minutes from being a viable strategy. No ladders so you can't camp with a bow the whole game.

13. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +646
    Honestly, I think there should be chests that are visible while running around in open spaces, so that builders don't need a pin point chest route to get gear. That currently seems to be a problem on every map but SG 4. That's why everyone loves 4.

14. BaccaAMP

BaccaAMP Bacca Mafia
    EcoMaster ⛰️⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +750
    Desert biome, hill with a circular river surrounding the spawn like the old arena 6 with the water/lilly pads, rivers sprouting out with bridges to run over like the ones over the ravines in arena 3. no buildings, no climbable trees (just spread out acacia) Lava border around perimiter, have the spawn as highest point and rest of map drops down with a slowly decreasing slope.

15. Chundi_Jr

Chundi_Jr Ex-Rebecca
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,994
    Everyone wil disagree with me but I LOVED old sg1 (the huge one with a million buildings) It had such a beautiful scenery and so many places to explore. You could literally be in it for hours which I know is what turned people off of it but imo it was an amazing map, especially for the sg games that andrew used to have when he would give out pets or giftcards as prizes.

tl;dr: Something big with a bunch of places to explore. And nice scenery helps too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  16. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    I have to ask, was that the one that had the train?
    I loved that map!

17. Chundi_Jr

Chundi_Jr Ex-Rebecca
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ VII ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,994
    Underground train right? I'm pretty sure it was that one! It also had a mountain with a prison on top at the edge of the map. Had to cross a lake to get to it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. RazorRimz

RazorRimz Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +646
    Ew, old SG 1 was terrible

19. steveshizzle

steveshizzle Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +2,035
    Cake. Just cake literally everywhere. Like on every single block. Like make the map however but put a whole cake on top of each and every block so that the direct top view looks like one giant square of cakes.

I'm pretty sure that's what we all want

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  20. stoler202

stoler202 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +471
    This. I know many people just like pure PvP, but I prefer a map that has something more to it. A story in its scenery perhaps. Something that makes it interesting to play in, allong to discover. Easter eggs, things not necessary for PvP still contribute to the map.
    Oh, and don't listen to the camper haters, add places to wait out the game, but not too hard to find, so that the game doesn't last forever.
    Finally, I want to say that old SG1 was the best.