why is stone grey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xX3PICREBELXx, Mar 15, 2017.

1. xX3PICREBELXx

Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoMaster ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,608
    I have a question - why is stone grey? i see brown stone sometimes when it has rained IRL

2. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    Then shouldn't you be asking why isn't stone brown when it rains?

3. 7amoodw

7amoodw Electrical and Electronics Engineer
    ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IV ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +5,209
    What a silly question!

Everyone knows the science of merlinology founded by father of all sciences himself @Kick_Me_1235 better known as Merlino.

The Merlino hypothesis (2017) states : "If a person commits a scam it is directly proportional to the social disasters in humanity and economic crisis".

This is better represented in the formula :
    S =( 2x^n)/$n where n is the amount of items scammed and $n is the value of items scammed. In your case you would use grey and brown dye values HOWEVER due to /worth being broken I fear it will be a bit more difficult to use merlino's equation of relativity here.

To sign up for a full course on Merlinology just contact me or Professor Merlino himself.

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  4. MaxToMinimum

MaxToMinimum President
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +313
    What???...

Also, stone is probably not brown because it would look very ugly in game, and the stone is somewhat more appealing.

#4 MaxToMinimum, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  5. JokerBoss99

JokerBoss99 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +529
    The reason why stone is grey is because the RGB monitor/screen/whatever you're looking at is displaying just the right amount of each color (RGB) to trick your eyes into thinking the stone is grey. Stone in Minecraft is not actually grey, it is just the way your eyes perceive the colors.

Also, if you were looking for another longer explanation I will provide one below
    "
    When you look at a banana, the wavelengths of reflected light determine what color you see. The light waves reflect off the banana's peel and hit the light-sensitive retina at the back of your eye. That's where cones come in.

Cones are one type of photoreceptor, the tiny cells in the retina that respond to light. Most of us have 6 to 7 million cones, and almost all of them are concentrated on a 0.3 millimeter spot on the retina called the fovea centralis.

[​IMG]
    Not all of these cones are alike. About 64 percent of them respond most strongly to red light, while about a third are set off the most by green light. Another 2 percent respond strongest to blue light.

When light from the banana hits the cones, it stimulates them to varying degrees. The resulting signal is zapped along the optic nerve to the visual cortex of the brain, which processes the information and returns with a color: yellow.

Humans, with our three cone types, are better at discerning color than most mammals, but plenty of animals beat us out in the color vision department. Many birds and fish have four types of cones, enabling them to see ultraviolet light, or light with wavelengths shorter than what the human eye can perceive."

Source:
    Pappas, S. (2010 April 29) How Do We See Color? Retrieved from http://www.livescience.com/32559-why-do-we-see-in-color.html

So in a sense, the cones are what allow the light reflected from the screen to make the stone in Minecraft grey.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. 6_28

6_28
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,658
    STONE ISNT GRAY, ITS ALL A LIE! When you're looking into a screen monitor you aren't actually looking at grey because the color is being emitted, not reflected. SO THAT GREY AINT REAL!

7. d_face012

d_face012 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +323
    i d o n t k n o w g o o d q u e s t i o n b r o

8. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +778
    It doesn't actually explain why stone is gray or why bananas are yellow: it just explains how the eye perceives the different colors, but.. why should bananas be just yellow and not, say, purple? What makes bananas yellow?

I won't talk of bananas because 1) it wasn't the question and 2) it would involve subjects of which I know very little; but I'll do my best to say something on stone.
    Assuming that we can easily guess why Minecraft creators, when making minecraft:stone textures, chose gray instead of other colors:
    [​IMG]
    I will contradict what I just implied with that picture and outright say that stone isn't actually gray.
    The reason is that "stone" is an ambiguous term that we use to identify a broad class of materials with different origin, different history and different composition. In particular, a single piece of stone is usually an aggregate of many different minerals, and different minerals show different colors: here are some minerals:
    [​IMG]

Now. If a piece of stone is an aggregate of different minerals of different colors, what do you expect its average color to be?
    Hint: did you ever play with poster paint when you were a kid? Have you ever tried mixing, in roughly equal parts, all the different colors? What did you get? ;)
    (and, if you mixed those colors in an unbalanced way, you would get something slightly less gray and slightly more yellow/green/red/blue/whatever depending on the prevalent color - brown is pretty common)
    So (in my understanding, but a mineralogist might contradict me) the reason why stone is usually gray is the same why, when you mix colors, you usually get gray.
    But why do you get gray when you mix colors? Why gray and not, say, yellow? The point is that gray is not a color: all the shades of gray between white and black are not pure colors, but a balanced mix of the three primary colors; the more (balanced) red+green+blue you have, the brighter the result, spanning from black to white. And this links back to what @JokerBoss99 said.

Disclaimer: this was an extremely crude explanation of what I understand of mineralogy (not much), and a true expert would have explained it better; but I'm not a mineralogist, sorry (and I bet that even for a mineralogy professor it would take a full semester of lectures to dig down deeply enough to dissolve the question completely about the composition issue)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
    #8 Expipiplusone, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  9. d_face012

d_face012 Builder

Ratings:
    +323
    good call.

10. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    Ugh, I had to change picture because the first one wasn't shown correctly

11. Kick_Me_1235

Kick_Me_1235 Retired Mod
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,556
    tiph man i gotta

12. Exile1999

Exile1999 Ex-OPBuilder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,020
    Minecraft assumed stone's color. Triggered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Adware

Adware Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +127
    Stone be like: "Did you just assume my color?!". Lmao

14. MinecraftParkerH

MinecraftParkerH ECC ElonMusk
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +178
    Creators were colorblind

15. d_face012

d_face012 Builder

Ratings:
    +323
    I have another question. Why are blueberries called BLUEberries? If they are purple. Also, why is grass orange during the summer?

16. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    Assuming it was an actual question and not a joke,
    1) idk... I guess because it sounded better, or maybe because the word "blue" used to cover a broader color spectrum a few centuries ago;
    2) that's pretty easy actually: because it dries out, degrading chlorophyll (the green pigment that allows leaves to extract energy from sunlight)

17. Ozzyblack21

Ozzyblack21 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +12,433
    I got one thing to say, at least it isn't Pink.

18. MeadMaker

MeadMaker Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Builder ⚒️

Ratings:
    +1
    A better question might have been, "Why is Ozzy black?" or "Why is Piggy wooden?"

19. Ozzyblack21

Ozzyblack21 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +12,433
    Favourite shade

20. Olinova

Olinova Builder

Ratings:
    +185
    Why is mineshaft money game?