Please Fix Trading Hours for Stock Market

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sayreign, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Sayreign

Sayreign Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +4
    The Stock Market page on this site (at 9:32am US EST) says "You may not purchase this stock while the Exchange is closed" The Server uses US Eastern Standard/Daylight Time. So, therefore, it should adhered to the US Stock Market which opens at 9:30am EST

2. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    it opens at noon on ECC. This was done on purpose to reduce exploits.

3. Sayreign

Sayreign Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't see how this could be to reduce exploits. Only thing i see this reducing is the availability to trade. I have to sleep 10am to 6pm. So, basically what this means is I can't trade it... thats unfortunate, seeing as how a time change could be so simple :/

4. Harryhaz1

Harryhaz1 RIP Lava sponge.

Ratings:
    +1,111
    Perhaps changing that would suit your needs, but for others not so much.
    For me the stock market opens at 3am... But i'm not going to demand the market be changed to Aussie time just so i can trade and have a healthy sleep schedule.

5. Sayreign

Sayreign Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +4
    It's not even the change for convenience, but if you're going to have a Stock Market with actual stock tickers, names, etc. at least make the times actual. Also changing the stock market to Aussie time doesn't make any sense to begin with. The server time isn't in an aussie timezone is it? The change really doesn't suit my needs exactly anyway. If that were the only reason I was suggesting a change I would have it changed to 4-8am, that's the 4hr timeframe I'm on the most, or 24/hrs would suit everyone, but It should at least be actual market hrs for the servers country if not 24hrs to make it easier for everyone.

In response, to the exploit comment: Isn't that what the 3 day lock on selling is about? It doesn't make any sense that the stock market would be reduced to 4hrs per day to reduce exploitation...

6. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ

Ratings:
    +6,925
    There was more than one exploit.

@twistedjonny and @goblizz should be able to explain it better than I possibly can, so I'll leave it to them.

7. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Thanks for the tag Kuke.

Basically @Sayreign, the API that the Stock Trader uses Yahoo's. This means that all quotes of stocks are going to be 15 minutes delayed. When the market would open at 9:30, the Stock Trader wouldn't start updating until around 9:45, and wouldn't hit realtime quotes until very late in the day when the automated traders are closing up. So basically, you could pick the highest gainer in the first 10ish minutes of trading, buy a massive amount of it, and then sell a few minutes later for big profits. Andrew implemented the three-day rule to prevent the day-trading and force people to pick winners, not gainers.

Secondly, there was also an issue with IPOs where tickers would be listed on Yahoo Finance (and therefore indexable by the API) before they actually made it onto the market. So say stock had an IPO price of $10. It would be listed at 11:00 at $10 in preparation for an opening at noon, and then at 12:15 it would accurately reflect the price. So if the IPO went up to $20 immediately - as in no one but institutions could have gotten it - people on ECC could still buy at that $10 price before it hopped upwards. This is where the noon start is implemented; to prevent the issues with IPOs.

Hence, that's why the market trade times are the way they are; I don't think it will be changing anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. twistedjonny

twistedjonny ECC Investor
    ECC Investor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +184
    Goblizz got it lol