Add a line to the /spawn hologram

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blizzard_04, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +97
    Hello. I am suggesting that the spawn hologram would have another line about how to ask to become a member in a town for new players.

2. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    Which spawn hologram?

What do you propose the line say?

3. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder

Ratings:
    +97
    Looking to join a town? Ask in /ch tr! Also, The one right at the /spawn point.

4. Nicit6

Nicit6 N6
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +8,058
    that seems lackluster since new players spawn in the tutorial

5. THCOOL

THCOOL SolarNation Founder and Ex-smod
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +781
    +1

I find that even though players spawn in the tutorial, a lot still choose to skip it and so I still see see plenty of new players asking for plots in spawn. Perhaps something along the lines of:

"Towns are protected regions in our Rising/Legacy worlds. If you are interested in joining one so you can a build a house in a safe area, ask to join a town in /ch trade and then wait patiently for a town owner to contact you! Please be aware that you are only allowed to post 2 unique advertisements every 5 minutes in this chat channel. If you want to learn more, please checkout /tutorial"

It doesn't haven't to be overly complicated. This message informs them about protected regions, how to ask to join one, and then even informs them of our rules so it helps prevent spam. Perhaps this is something we can test out for a week or two and then we can monitor its impact. If the number of new players asking to join a town in spawn decreases, then keep it... if not and we still see the same number of new players asking for plots in spawn, then simply remove the hologram. Simple as that. I don't see any downside to at least testing it.

Edit: I realized that the initial suggestion was to simply add a line in the spawn hologram. What if we just pushed that one to the side a bit and put a new one right next to it? Towns basically make ECC so imo its important enough and worthy to put next to the spawn hologram

#5 THCOOL, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Imaginex

Imaginex Living in a Daydream
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $5,655,100
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    If people don't want to read though, adding a line to read won't do anything to help the issue

7. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder

Ratings:
    +97
    Most people do read the spawn hologram. As a builder, I skipped the tutorial and did /spawn.

8. THCOOL

THCOOL SolarNation Founder and Ex-smod
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +781
    This reply justifies the point I was about to make. For some reason when alot of players see "tutorial" they think its a bunch of bs and is automatically going to be a ton to read. Alot of people are impatient and dont want to have to go through it all. I know that from personal experience before I found ECC when I tried different servers, Id always skip the tutorial.... stupid to do so? Yes, but for some reason people just don't like having to go through tutorials.

Again, I dont see the harm in at least trying it. If we find that it doesnt make much of a difference then you can just remove it, but if it works then yay

#8 THCOOL, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  9. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder

Ratings:
    +97
    Agreed. Well said.

10. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder

Ratings:
    +97
    EDIT

#10 Blizzard_04, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. Imaginex

President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $5,655,100
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    In the area where people spawn when they log in (the actual tutorial) or added to the line of text that you see when you do /warp rs?

Edit: A tip to go to the tutorial is already in the hologram at /warp rs.... so I'm a little confused

#11 Imaginex, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  12. Blizzard_04

Blizzard_04 Builder

Ratings:
    +97
    Oh. Lol You are correct. RS is rising spawn right?

13. Imaginex

EcoDollars:
    $5,655,100
    Ratings:
    +1,244
    Yes

14. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder

Ratings:
    +778
    I agree with @Imaginex here.
    My girlfriend always skips tutorials and shit when playing a new game (or when a game is updated) because "BLAH BLAH PLAY NO READ BLAH BLAH".
    Then she invariably asks me how to do this and that 2 minutes later. Sometimes for games that I don't even play :facepalm:
    I laugh back at her without answering -even when I do play that game- obviously :p

If we want to discuss how to improve the tutorial and make it shorter and more effective, I'm all in. If we want to discuss how to promote the visibility of the tutorial to new players, I'm all in. But duplicating the same information over and over again for people that won't read it anyway? A waste of time, IMO.
    Also: why should we duplicate "how to join a town" and not "how to pay someone" or "how to use trade signs" or whatever? New players need to learn about all of these things, and that's the whole point of having a tutorial in the first place: to collect all this new information in one, single, tidy, organized place.