ChargerBoltz5's Guide to Winning the ECC Vote Medal

Discussion in 'Basic Tutorials' started by ChargerBoltz5, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Winning the ECC Vote Medal
    -- A Tutorial by ChargerBoltz5 --

bit.ly/eccvoteguide

Hey guys, Charger here :)

I've seen several users request a tutorial on how to win the ECC voting medal, so as per those requests, I'll go ahead and make one.

Voting for ECC is a fantastic way to support our server and bring in new players. Also, of course, you can earn netherstars ingame, leading to more cash and maybe even a star tool or two :D

[​IMG]

ECC has three voting sites which reward you with netherstars ingame. Each has its own tricks up its sleeve (especially vote 3, we'll get to that later). Here, I'll give a few general tips about ECC voting, then I will walk you through the ways of each vote site.

Tips and Tricks

1)
    If you have a mobile device, please use it. It could be the one thing that locks up a top spot on the voting leaderboard. I always set phone alarms for when I have to do my votes, so if I'm on the go, I can quickly hop on my browser and do the vote I need to do. @JamieSinn has made an incredible app that I love to use for this - you can find it on Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SinnDevelopment.EcoCityCraftVoter.

2) While there is no iOS app for the above, @MCHelix3000 has created a short tutorial that also makes voting quick and easy for Apple users:

i. On your iOS Device, go to Safari and visit EcoCityCraft's website. Find the vote buttons towards the bottom.
    [​IMG]

ii. Next, click on the first vote site.
    [​IMG]

iii. Then, press the button at the bottom of your screen which is in the middle; has a box with an arrow inside. A menu will come up. Press "Add to Home Screen".
    [​IMG]

iv. The result will look like this:
    [​IMG]

v. Repeat these steps for the other three vote sites; it will take you directly to each site. Enjoy! (Pictures are huge because of iPhone 6 Plus)

3) When voting, don't give up. You may be on just the 10th day of the month and already have missed 10+ votes; keep on trying for that medal. You never know who else has missed votes, and if you want that medal real bad, just keep on trying.

4) Huge, important piece of information: Votes for ECC are counted from when andrewkm does them one month, until when he does them again. In other words, using an example of February 2015: The votes were counted from February 4, when Physicistsmom (the owner at the time) did the voting winners for the month of January, to March 7, when she announced the voting winners for February. To win the medal, make sure to vote every day until Andrew announces the winners. Stopping at the last day of the month and not voting in the meantime will count as missed votes up until when the winners are announced. This has screwed me up as well as others before, so make sure to keep voting!

ECC's Vote Sites

[​IMG]
    Link: http://minecraftservers.org/vote/6021

Vote 1 allows you to vote once per day. Days reset at 8:00 PM EST, or midnight GMT, on this site. As long as you vote once every day on this site (between each day reset), you'll be fine.

When going in to vote on this site, you'll notice a Top Voters leaderboard. If you're not on it, it doesn't matter; it only shows the people who have voted every day right off the day reset. Since this is purely cosmetic to be on, it doesn't really matter, just as long as you vote every day. If you really want to be on it though, just go in a minute or two before the day resets and refresh the page until you are allowed to vote (ex. in my time zone, PST, I'd want to go in at 4:59 PM and refresh over and over until the clock strikes 5, when I can vote again). Doing so should put you on the leaderboard.

[​IMG]
    Link: http://minecraft-server-list.com/server/7038/vote/

Vote 2 also allows you to vote once every day. It runs nearly identical to Vote 1, except for the fact that days reset at 7:00 PM EST rather than at 8:00 (at 11:00 PM GMT rather than midnight). Other than that, just make sure to vote on this site within each day reset all month, and you'll be just fine.

I often find this the easiest vote site to keep up on, since it resets soon after I get home from school and I can just vote on it after each day reset right when I get home. Also, there's no distracting leaderboard to worry about.

Recently, many users, including myself, have encountered a bug in this site. After solving the captcha and entering the username, the site will take an unually long amount of time on the "Please wait..." message, and then say "Syntax Error: Unexpected Token F." This is not uncommon, and because other people are experiencing the problem just like you may be, this shouldn't impact your odds at winning the medal too poorly.

I am looking for workarounds to this bug, and will update eventually with more info.

[​IMG]
    Link: http://topg.org/Minecraft/in-380058

Ah, vote 3. The trickiest, glitchiest, and toughest vote site of them all. Please bear with me here, as this site is very difficult and requires lots of explanation.

Vote 3 allows you to vote exactly every 12 hours. This is the vote site that will make or break your chances at getting the medal. It's pretty much impossible to not screw up on this site at least once during the whole month, but miss too many votes on this site and you're toast.

What I do on vote 3 seems to work pretty well (given the fact I've gotten in the top 3 voters for three of the past four months). If done right, I'll maybe miss just 5 votes per month with this technique. Anyway, here goes.

At the beginning of the month (which I usually count as the last day of the previous month, just to make sure) I will do my vote 3. I recommend writing down/remembering the exact time you do this, as it'll help you keep track of how many votes you've missed throughout the rest of the month. Write down or set an alarm for the time 12 hours later, and as soon as that time comes, go back and do another vote 3. After you do that vote, edit your alarm/write another time, and so on. I highly recommend using phone alarms for this, as they surely will help you vote on the go when you need to - especially beneficial with this vote.

Notice in this example that I have the Vote 1 and 2 alarm set to go off every day of the week. However, I don't do that with Vote 3, because I need to change it every time I do a vote.

[​IMG]

This all sounds simple so far... unfortunately, it's not.

There are several things that can affect your ability to vote on vote 3. One is a glitch on the site. Say I vote at 10:32 PM, so my next vote should be at 10:32 AM, right? Not exactly. If you vote on the exact 12-hour mark from your last vote, the site will often glitch and a message similar to this will appear:

[​IMG]

No big deal, right? I can just wait a few minutes, and be able to vote again? Well, not really. Sometimes, when you actually do try again in a few minutes, you'll get this:

[​IMG]

You then won't be able to vote for another 12 hours, and boom, you're down one vote. This is all caused by voting on the minute exactly 12 hours after your last vote.

What I do to avoid this is, using the example from above, setting my alarm for 10:35 AM right after the 10:32 PM vote. Usually, a 3-minute or so delay does the trick for me, preventing most glitches from occurring.

Also, IRL events may prevent you from doing the vote. Say your next Vote 3 time is 9:30 AM, but oh no! You have school to go to from 7:30 to 2:30! In these cases, your real life should come before Minecraft, as it always should. School definitely can do this, since throughout most of the school day, it's not ok to have a phone out. These events in which it's not appropriate to take out a phone and vote are perfectly fine and not preventable; just remember to vote as soon as you next get the opportunity, and set an alarm/write down the time accordingly. Which leads me to my next issue.

Voting in the middle of the night. You'll get stuck doing this sometimes. Say you come home from school, and you do your vote 3 at 2:45 PM. That means the next vote should be at 2:48 AM... in the middle of the night. If you really want that vote medal, you have to take what you're given and set an alarm in the middle of the night at the right time, just so you can wake up and get that vote done. As long as you fall back asleep quick enough, you should be fine. An issue I've had with this, though, is this: Say you get the vote site glitch, and you have to wait 2-3 minutes before you can vote again. I've accidentally fallen back asleep before within that short time, and wake up to realize that boom I'm another five hours back on that site. Just make sure to set your alarms accordingly, though, and this shouldn't be an issue.

I mentioned earlier that you should keep track of your month's first vote 3 time. If you want to record how many times you've missed the vote in the month, you'll need that time. Every time you fall 12 hours behind that first time, you've missed one vote. With my system, I usually miss about 5-7 vote 3's per month that I put a lot of effort into voting.

[​IMG]
    Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/servers/144

Vote 4 allows you to vote once every 24 hours. This is similar to Vote 3 in that there is no "daily reset" time, but you are allowed to vote after 24 hours have passed since your last vote.

To vote on this site, however, you must have a minecraftforum account - simply click the "register" button, and put in the required information. You will then be permitted to continue voting.

[​IMG]

When voting on this site, you'll also see a top voters leaderboard on the right of the captcha, similar to vote 1. However, this one is particularly glitchy, and won't add votes to the leaderboard if you aren't signed in to minecraftforum. Don't worry about it, your votes will still be counted ingame, regardless.

I would recommend aligning your votes here with your vote 3 schedule - every other time you do a vote 3, you should be able to do a vote 4. I find this site quite nice, because you don't have to worry about it as often as vote 3, there are very few weird glitches (yet), and EcoCityCraft's community continues to pull it near the top of the list :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

If you manage to get onto the top votes list at the end of the month, a huge congratulations to you, and enjoy that fancy medal and a few event tokens! Sorry for my huge rant on vote 3, but I hope this tutorial helped you out. Good luck, and happy voting!

Any further questions about voting? Feel free to reply or forum PM me! :D

See ya,
    @ChargerBoltz5

• Winner Winner x 25
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
    #1 ChargerBoltz5, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. ModernPerils

ModernPerils We the North
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +233
    Yeap, basically what I would have said if I wasn't too lazy to make this kind of tutorial :p

This is a great tutorial! Everyone use this!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Thanks Modern :D

4. goblizz

goblizz The One and Only
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,576
    And this is the exact speech he gave me when I wanted the vote medal xD

I vouch for this. It does work. Thanks @ChargerBoltz5!

5. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Thanks for the feedback goblizz :D

6. 314

314 Irratioπal President, former ServerAdmin
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $18,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    As a regular top voter myself, I can say the following...
    *Looks at the description of vote1 and vote2*
    Yay, I learned something new - their exact reset times. :D
    *Looks at the essay about vote3*
    I 100% agree. Vote3 - the horror vote of every top voter. :)
    However, in my case the "Wait 1 minute as delay before voting" doesn't work, it always needs to be around 5 minutes or it will delay it even further, especially bad when I only have a timeframe of 6:10am to 7:00am before I need to leave for school. (When I was still a voting nub, I continued clicking on vote3. My delay record: 38 minutes, :p)

All in all, I like the guide and also agree with the minor hate about vote3. xD
    *Gives agree rating*

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Hmm, really? I don't usually have to wait that long... interesting. Maybe I should edit in that the delay varies from person to person :p. Perhaps it has to do with your internet connection? Not sure.
    Thanks for the comment pi :D

8. iTzXtremeGaming

iTzXtremeGaming Resident
    Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐

Ratings:
    +1,706
    This is a perfect tutorial, everything that you have said sums up to my method this month. I've never tried before going for the voting medal but so far so good, I've missed only
    2 votes on vote 3 and hoping to miss no more. Best of luck to all other voters!:)

9. stoler202

stoler202 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +471
    Very helpful, thanks alot. Should try my luck next month. But night voting is something i cant afford. I will most likely vote at school breaks. (Luckily we have cell phones allowed.) So voting at 9:30 and 21:30 is my best chance.

10. DD71

DD71 Mayor of Nashville
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +591
    Well you should try voting for the rest of the month so you can get the hang of it as well as help the server :p

11. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Bump!
    Updated to reflect a new, very important piece of information I learned a while back!

As the month of April approaches, I encourage you all to go for the voting medal and support our server! Good luck to all those who try in April, and to those who voted in March :D

12. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Bump!

Interested in going for the vote medal this May? Give it a try, and you'll support the server too! :D

13. 314

EcoDollars:
    $18,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I am actually tempted to write a guide called "314's guide on how to sometimes be ranked well in the top voters and sometimes fail completely". How do you actually manage to fulfill your guide listed at vote3? Sometimes the period where it would bug, reset the timer and not count stretches for 10-15 minutes as I had to find out last month. :p

14. stoler202

stoler202 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +471
    I dont understand guys... How do you manage to vote twice a day??? When do you get the time? I vote daily but never twice on vote 3. We should replace it!

15. 314

EcoDollars:
    $18,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Forget about it...I'd say that's the only thing that makes the top 10 ranking actually possible because it wouldn'T be that hard for more than 10 players to get all votes of a month, and then we'd need to give out more coupons (and thus decreasing their value, at least on the user marke tbecause of increased supply).

And how to do that: Morning and evening. :3

16. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    My main strategy is to set an alarm on my cell phone for 12 hours and 2 minutes after I do each vote3. Still though, I've seen that vote site become more and more buggy nowadays; I think I missed at least ten votes on that site this month, due to glitches.

Have you gotten the one you'll vote on time, and it'll say "Try again in 2 minutes" (or something like that), and then when you actually try again in a few minutes, it'll say "Try again in 11 hours 59 minutes"? That one annoys me out of my mind.

17. 314

EcoDollars:
    $18,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    *Tries to sound as annoyed as he actually is by vote3* YES. :p

And the alarm...well, I have to calculate with about 15 minutes buffer to ensure that the vote will not bug...problem: In the morning I have from 6am to 7am, then I need to leave for school. Then I need to vote in the breaks...if I get a connection that exceeds a few kilobity per second (which takes the captcha forever to load and often causes a timeout). #AwesomeGermanInternet. :3

18. ChargerBoltz5

ChargerBoltz5 Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,340
    Bump!

Physicistsmom should be posting the voting winners for May within the next few days. That means that if you're looking to go for the vote medal in June, now is an excellent time to get a head start with voting! It's an excellent way to help the server gain publicity over the summer!

Happy voting everyone :D

19. 314

EcoDollars:
    $18,000,000
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Not sure about you, but I haven't seen this problem in over a month now. I wish I would though, I see a much more annoying one since then.

THIS is what I get about every 2-3 days. Of course this then ruins me and prevents me from voting that often... :cry:

#19 314, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  20. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,288
    You have proven yourself to be a voting winner King - and if anyone does not follow this step by step proven formula, it is truly their loss.
    Obviously, I am unable to complete the perfectly described instructions as I have not won a voting contest for many months :p
    I am thinking that everyone else who wins using this fantastic system should probably pay you 10% for helping them out ;)