How to make mining effective

Discussion in 'Mining, Nether & End' started by IamKarnii, Dec 28, 2015.

1. IamKarnii

IamKarnii Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +70
    This post is to teach users how to maximise ECD per hour.

Let's start of by stating no matter what pickaxe you are using this can help out all.

Tip 1: mine at Y=11 | it has been proven that this is the best lvl to find ores. This will help you find more ultimately increasing your ECD per hr.

Tip 2: Only bring what is absolutely necessary in your inventory. The less time you spend clearing your inventory the better. I usually carry a pickaxe, food and a chest for users to Erep my pickaxe, once I have the food and Erep feature this will free up even more slots!

Tip 3: Set your gamma to 1000. This can be done in the settings notepad file found in your .minecraft folder. Reasoning behind this is simple, you no longer need to carry torches when mining as it is daylight under ground.

Tip 4: invest in the Fly+ feature, this allows you to fly in the mining world. Although this is a costly investment is may help you out in the long run as mining with fly can help you cover more area. This is more aimed at Eff7 mining and an, not sure if It would help eff5 mining. But aye flying is cool!!!!

Some ways to protect your tools

Get yourself some fire resistant armour, this will allow you to save your tools if you fall into some lava. Now this won't completely save you it will simply Give you enough time to get out without dying. A better investment is water or pyro+. However all are effective.

You can also get Extcommands+ that gives you access to /Erep. Once you have this there is a macro that can be found on the forums to allow you to auto Erep when the tool reaches 200 blocks left before it breaks. This makes sure you don't ever accidentally break your tools.

Never drop it on the floor! Always bring s chest if you need to get an Erep as the butcher will have your pickaxe otherwise! Also un-bind your "drop item key" this stops you accidentally hitting a and throwing your 800k pickaxe into lava.

I hope this helps out any newer players, if not I appoligise.

~Karnii

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. secretlondon

secretlondon Builder

Ratings:
    +135
    Everyone and their mother mines at y=11 which makes it mined out pretty early.

Pyro+ is much better value for money than fly+.

3. IamKarnii

IamKarnii Builder

Ratings:
    +70
    The mining world is to big for it to be "mined out" yes towards the end of the month it is a little dry for ores sometimes, but there will always be places to mine, can't find anywhere? Simply do /wild and try again

Pyro+ and fly+ are 2 completely different features, how can you compare them lol.

4. Joshuwat

Joshuwat Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +602
    I have had studies I did that Y= 8 is better. It gets me more ores, especially diamonds. :p

5. teofilovic

teofilovic Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +291
    I think you forgot lava. Anyway, Y=8 is good for the last ~10 days before the reset when Y=11 is torn up by eff7s. I don't do it though, I mine in rising/legacy.

6. IamKarnii

IamKarnii Builder

Ratings:
    +70
    wouldnt recommend mining in rising/legacy as you dont get XP. and XP can be sold :D

7. Joshuwat

Joshuwat Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +602
    Yea I forgot, I have pyro+ so it doesn't matter to me.
    And just like karnii said, you don't get the XP from it and it is smart to do that.

8. Surilan

Surilan Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +2
    Here's my 2 bits as a relatively new user. I will share how to improve your ECD/hr while mining, how I mine, and how to get the best pick in ECC.

Get an Efficiency5 Unbreaking3 Fortune3 (eff5 unb3 fort3 or "max") pick ASAP! It will greatly increase your ECD/hr. Grind exp for the enchantments or buy it upfront or on a loan for 7-9k. You can pay off the loan in a matter of hours, whereas it will take considerably longer to get the required upfront cash/exp. Once you have an eff5, start working towards an eff7.

Mining: Methods vary among users, but I've found the following most efficient. Dig down to Y = 11 (or Y = 8) and dig a long-ish trench. This will be the backbone of your mine. Next, dig a 50 square shaft (more or less to preference) into the wall of your backbone. Dig a backtrench 4 blocks deep, then dig a lead into your next trench. Follow your initial shaft back to the backbone and dig another shaft along the same line as your initial shaft. Dig a backtrench 8 blocks deep, making indentations for new shafts every 4 blocks. The back (closer to origin) indentation is your new shaft, while the front indentation is where you'll come out on your next pass. Dig a trench off your back indentation until you hit your other backtrench, extend the backtrench 8 blocks, making indentations every 4th block, rinse, repeat. Sell your ores and stones as they fill your inventory.

The end result is a shaft every 4 blocks (3 blocks in between shafts!) with a backtrench on either end and a central backbone. This will net you 90-95% of the available ores while saving you 25-33% of the work. This process nets me 5k-10k/hr, depending on ore density, lava/water density, and diligence. To improve your ECD/hr, I recommend using a macro to sell while mining. PM me in-game or in-forum if you would like the macros I use.

Eff7. The Holy Grail of mining (as far as I'm aware). If you want an eff7 of your own, you'll need to scrape together 800-900k. This pick will at least double your ECD/hr. Because this pick is so expensive, special care must be taken to ensure its survival. You NEED lava protection (either fire-protection armor enchantments or pyro+) and general damage prevention (protection4). Many users I've talked to require full protection4 armor and pyro+, in addition to an hourly/daily fee (5-8k/hr, 25-40k/day), to loan out an eff7. Pyro+ must be bought from the donation store for real money (USD). You can either buy it yourself for $40 or pay a sponsor ECD240-280k to buy the feature for you. To lend credibility to your rental, I recommend getting at least Mayor rank. Also, as Karnii recommended, unmap your drop key so you don't risk throwing your pick in lava, and bring a SINGLE chest for when you need an erep (enchanted repair).

TL;DR
    Get an eff5
    Mine using trenches every 4 blocks (3 blocks between trenches)
    Eff7 picks are amazing, but require protective measures to use effectively.

#8 Surilan, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. Joshuwat

Joshuwat Builder

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +602
    Yes, definatley the Holy Grail of mining!

10. teofilovic

teofilovic Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +291
    You don't happen to know what Silk Touch is?

11. corbynn1000

corbynn1000 Builder

Ratings:
    +40
    Thank you so much for making this. This will help me when mining in the future! :D