Denied [Network Wide Suggestion] A New Loan Scamming Solution

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Jdawger, Jan 10, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    In Game Name:
    Jdawger
    What part of EcoCityCraft is this suggestion for:
    Network Wide
    Short title for your suggestion:
    A New Loan Scamming Solution
    What are you suggesting:
    When someone loans money to someone & the person doesn't pay them back/fails to make a payment, once they file a complaint and the person is banned, the server gives them back the money owed, but if the loan scammer wishes to appeal, they need to pay the server whatever was originally owed to the other person (this doesn't give the scammer an easier appeal, just shifts who they have to pay when they appeal). This is so the person who lent the money will get their money they are issued & hopefully take action confidently if they get into this situation

To try to simplify what I mean, let's say Person A loans Person B 1mil ECD with a 2mil ECD payback in one month. Person B fails to do so & Person A files a complaint. It is confirmed and Person B is banned for Loan Scamming. Person A then receives 2mil ECD back from the server.

Person B makes an appeal a few weeks later & the staff will allow them to be unbanned. Person B then needs to pay 2mil to the server (either a payment directly to andrew, clar, Edi, official chestshop by one of them, or another way) within a specified time.
    Why is this a good addition for EcoCityCraft?:
    The one issue that I always see with loan scamming over the years is the original person doesn't get the money they lent back, thus why people are hesitant loaning money out. When they make a user complaint, all they do is either hope that is enough to spook them into paying, or have them banned (which they won't get their money back). irl banks tend to give you the money back on your account if you file a fraud or unauthorized purchase, and they take care of getting the money back from the third party (this recently happened with me, thus why I thought of this), so why shouldn't ECC do the same? A lot of people just don't file user complaints because if the person gets banned, they aren't getting the money back anytime soon unless the person appeals (which a lot of times they don't or wait a very long time to maybe get away with not paying them because the loaner became inactive)
    Other information:

Plugin or custom addition:

One suggestion per form:
    I Understand.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    #1 Jdawger, Jan 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  2. xdogx

Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Tycoon ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ II ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +45
    This has always been an interesting topic for me and has prevented me from giving loans of any kind out. That being said, I don't think the lender should get paid the full amount of the repayment from the server, if anything it should just be for the amount loaned. The payments / interest are an agreement between the players, not the server. In your example the person loaned a million but would get two million back from the server, which would mean loaning money would just be free profit because you either get paid properly or get the full loan and interest repaid when the player gets banned. This would eliminate any vetting process and people who probably shouldn't get a loan would get one risk free, loaning money should still inherently come with some risk. That being said, if this were implemented and the player who was banned files an appeal, they should be required to repay the full amount to the server. Very interesting topic, I'd be interested to see if anything changes but it's definitely a complicated area.

3. Jdawger

Jdawger Goes by Brass Scribe everwhere except MC & ECC
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,271
    I agree. Tbh, I was on the fence just doing that suggestion (which I think is ideal), but then I feel it might be a little more confusing. Using the same example of 1mil loaned with a 2mil payback, if the server reimburses just the 1mil, then that means if the person still wants late fees, they banned person would require a 1mil payback to the server, and the 1mil payback to the player for late fees.

I felt it would be too much of an ask to suggest that if you request a reimbursement from the server, late fees would be abolished on the banned person as people could avoid paying a loan just for late fees to be abolished.

So ultimately, it came down to three different suggestions for implimentation:
    1.) Server pays the scammed the full amount that the banned person would need to pay & the banned person would pay that full amount to the server to get unbanned

2.) Server pays the scammed the amount loaned & the banned person would pay that amount to the server & pay X amount of late fees & interest directly to the scammed.

3.) Server pays the scammed the amount loaned & the banned person would pay the amount to the server only. All late fees & interest would be abolished.

Of all three, the first one seemed the most logical because if someone were to make a quick buck from the server getting a friend or unregistered alt to "scam" them for extra money of interest & late fees, the account would be banned until that money is repaid. And keep in mind, all appeals are staff digression on what happens w/ additional payments.

Option 2 is doable, but like I said earlier, could get slightly confusing having two parties needing payment for one scammed loan.

#3 Jdawger, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  4. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,066
    Person A loans Person B 1mil ECD with a 500mil ECD payback in one year. Person B gets banned and we're to generate the 500mil payback? Lmao. This suggestion will never happen. The solution is simple, vet the people you loan money to. You loan someone money IRL and they get locked up for doing something stupid, aint no court giving you your money back.

This entire suggestion is unnecessary.
    Common sense exists.

We're not going to collect on your bad debts.
    Nor would anyone on your behalf in the real world.

Comparing this to chargebacks makes zero sense.
    Your not making a fraudulent purchase, you're willingly giving your money away.

#4 andrewkm, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.