[Skyblock] Hoppers are broken

Discussion in 'Help & Support / Errors & Bugs' started by Gluupor, May 13, 2018.

1. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐

Ratings:
    +125
    Minecraft Username:
    Gluupor

Brief Description:
    Hoppers take 4 items at once instead of one item at a time.
    while this doesnt really affect hopper clocks it largely affects sorting systems.
    hoppers behaving weird started after the adding of the redstone clock preventer.

Instructions:
    Build an item sorter as outlined here:
    https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Hopper#Item_sorter

How many times did you recreate this?:
    3-4 times on my obsidian generator which has a sorter attached that is supposed to sort out the empty buckets

Result:
    sorts out empty buckets and because hopper timing is off it starts pulling out lava buckets which eventually breaks the whole system and it continues to suck out lava buckets til there are none or the receiving chest is full

Expected Result:
    the item sorter to only sort out the given item (in this case a single empty bucket after a cycle of obsidian mining and lava replacing)

Evidence:
    come visit me @ /is warp gluupor since a screenshot wouldnt show much.

2. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    This is intended.
    Hoppers will now move 4 items at once. Don’t think I’ll be changing this at the time being.

Since hoppers act slower on our server, changing this to 4 helps players achieve the same transfer speeds as before (a bit faster in fact).

3. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    it breaks sorting systems tho since they rely on one item being transferred at a time. it doesnt actually matter for hopper clocks or simply transferring items from A to B

4. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    I understand it breaks sorting systems.
    This is something we're going to have to live with as the entire changes we made to hoppers completely solved a lot of lag issues. This change is also widely used on most SkyBlock servers.

#4 andrewkm, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
  5. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    how about slowing down hoppers and have them transfer a single item at a time? you can work around slow hoppers in clocks by putting less items or run dual hopper lines for transferring stuff (tbh i dont think anyone actually transfers stuff across their island using hoppers anyways). but theres no work around for sorting systems.

6. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    During the next restart, I'll make a change to have hoppers only transfer a single item at a time, however, should we find this is negating our performance optimizations we will revert back to transferring multiple items at a time permanently.

7. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    leave the speed as is just reduce the items transfered to one shouldnt impact the server at all. and for peoples hopper clocks they just need to put in one quarter of the items they have now. thanks for considering.

8. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    Hoppers now take one item at a time. Please confirm @Gluupor
    (If this goes good, we'll leave it, if not, we'll revert back to 4 at a time).

9. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    taking one at a time confirmed working.

10. Expipiplusone

Expipiplusone Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +778
    Oh, this answers my question.
    I find that slow hoppers are a huge pain when the purpose is to actually move stuff into chests when you have a biggish stream of items... on the other hand, I see that also breaking sorting systems is bad, and of course reducing performance is out of question.
    Unfortunately I have no solution to propose, I guess that the actual setup is the least bad, but it would be great if we could find a solution that runs with the hares and hunts with the hounds

#10 Expipiplusone, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  11. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    poking around google has shown that the most lag caused by hoppers comes from the checking for items apparantly (checks if there is an item above that needs to be sucked in). its possible to cover up hoppers with inventory slot blocks (like furnaces, chests etc) and it will reduce quite some lag because an inventory check seem less expensive performance wise than an entity check. of course the latter obviously wont work if you need your hoppers uncovered in like a cactus, chicken etc farm

i also found people that made patches for custom spigot version that disables the checking for items if there in fact are no items in a chunk or when the hopper is full (since it wouldnt be able to suck in more items in the first place). this guy has made the most changes maybe its worth some time looking into it... if not well then its ok :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    #11 Gluupor, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  12. JamieSinn

JamieSinn Retired Lead Administrator/Developer
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,588
    We are already running a heavily customized version of spigot, and I believe it includes some of Techcable's changes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    @Gluupor If you would like hopper changes at this time you would need to suggest that we re-break sorting systems and speed up hoppers by once again allowing 4 items to be moved at once. There is no good in between. Speeding them up lags the server.

#13 andrewkm, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  14. Gluupor

Gluupor Builder

Ratings:
    +125
    i dont want hopper changes again i just did some research ... but apparantly you possibly already use what i (might have) found.

just adding one more little thing: effectively vanilla behaviour of hoppers is broken either way, which is bad, but yea if you want to fight lag then so be it

#14 Gluupor, May 18, 2018
  15. andrewkm

Founder Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +15,064
    Ah ok. Just mentioning in case that’s what you wanted. Just got back from a small vacation so catching up on work and doing a lot at once :)

#15 andrewkm, May 18, 2018