Rule Changes and Changes to the Warn System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClarinetPhoenix, Apr 26, 2017.

1. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,516
    The server is returning the rules back to what it was back when we had over 100 players... if you wanna quit because you aren't free to use awful vocab then leave. It's not their fault you can't be mature about things.

#41 BobbyBlack, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. matrix_rep

matrix_rep Runner Up in BB20
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor Resident ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ X ⭐⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +7,451
    I am very happy to see these changes. My only request would be to make these rules more strict.

3. BobbyBlack

BobbyBlack Community Spokesperson
    Mythic ⚔️ I ⚔️ ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐⭐ XI ⭐⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I agree this warning shit is dumb, go back to before warns. They are useless and people just take advantage. To be honest I've even taken advantage. I'd fuck around until I was warned then I'd stop. Just go from kicking to banning them like before. They will learn to follow the rules if they get banned faster

4. jwpwns

jwpwns ECC Sponsor
    ECC Sponsor President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +1,628
    Couldn't agree more lol we should go back to the 2012 way of doing things verbal warn kick kick ban lol it worked before no idea why we changed to this warn bullshit 1 of the things i hated the most the short time i was on staff.

#44 jwpwns, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Mcguy65

Mcguy65 Dirt
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +631
    I agree as well, lets just go back to this..

6. 12345shane

12345shane ρяєѕι∂єитιαℓ ρяαєтσя
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,132
    I hate warns as well. Why the hell do we have a /warn when:
    1. Verbal warns do just fine
    2. /warns do nothing
    3. kicks are perfect because people are given that sudden realization upon seeing that "you have been kicked from the server" about the fact that they've been doing something wrong
    4. Bans should be happening a lot quicker. Bans should be happening after 3-5 warnings in the system we have now imo, whether temp or not. People shouldn't even be getting 1 warning.

#46 12345shane, Apr 27, 2017
  7. ThatKidArshi

ThatKidArshi Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +323
    I just got warned for saying "stop crying" as flame bait. So much for new rules

8. oootopia

oootopia Utopian
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,954
    @ThatKidArshi, that is not why you were warned. If you ever have questions about your warn, please feel free to pm the moderator who issued your warning in game or on forums.

9. ClarinetPhoenix

ClarinetPhoenix She does what she wants.
    Owner Events Manager ECC Sponsor Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ IX ⭐ Gameplay Architect Premium Upgrade Wiki Leader

Ratings:
    +5,380
    I'm just going to stop it right here. You guys can discuss the changes from the original post, you're not here to argue with each other over chat infractions.

10. Ladyvamptress

Ladyvamptress Bloodlust Ex-EcoLegend
    ECC Sponsor Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ III ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +3,184
    There was a suggestion somewhere, at some point that talked about how verbal warnings and /warns were the same thing, so just do away with verbal warnings. I think this is where the whole x amount of warns were a ban thing came into play, but verbal warnings were still there, so even tho there was a change, it didn't really change anything. Now verbal warnings are being done away with, but you've up'ed the number of /warns... I still fail to see the change...?

I can respect that staff acknowledges the flaws in this new change and are willing to rethink and tweak the system and it's set up. This is what's needed, however the /warn, /kick, /kick, /ban method seems to be what people would like to see. If you feel this is too strict, tweak that method. Maybe 3 /warns then a /kick, then a /ban? Temp bans can be thrown in there depending on the situation if need be. I realize this is done with new players in mind who may not know the rules as well as the veteran players, but I mean... after the /warn, if they continue... then they know it's wrong and are still doing it. To me giving them more /warns just promotes people to break the rules, of course it puts a limit, but a very high one. I think it was when Dewey was an SA, it was talked about how people might start seeing /warns as a trophy. They can collect them and know their limit to stop before more serious punishment accrues. If a warn and 2 kicks doesn't get the person to stop, then that ban sure will and then they can spend their time trying to get unbanned.

11. kukelekuuk

kukelekuuk C͕̹̲̽ͪ͐ͩ̔L̜̦̝͈ͦ̿̾̿ḘA̻̗̤̳̐ͭ̆̿̃̑ͭN̊̓͑̇ͯ
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-EcoLeader ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +6,925
    /warn.
    /kick.
    /ban.

Simple as that. If people don't listen to the first warn they deserve the kick, if they still continue they deserve the ban. No bullshit with tempbans. Just a straight up ban.

Give people too many opportunities to break the rules, and they will make use of those opportunities. Why? Because they can abuse the system to continuously break chat rules for a short, pointless punishment. No troll's going to give a shit about a tempban of a few days. The problem has always been leniency. It has been that way since 2011. People who should get severe punishments get away with multiple bans that they're just gonna get unbanned for a few days later. There's no real repercussion to breaking the rules. So why would anyone bother to abide by the rules?

In fact, this warn system doesn't even address the core problem. Staff is inconsistent. Staff is lenient. And staff can be quite unfair. The problem is, staff doesn't have solid enough guidelines. They have to work according to their own discretion, but the whole of the staff team isn't on one line. One is stricter, he other is lenient. That makes no sense. Every staffmember should do the same things for every situation. There should be almost no room for changing things up.
    Not to mention the fact that bans are a literal joke. "Oh no, I got banned. Better appeal so I can get back to playing in 3-7 days" It's not a deterrent. And it clearly hasn't been effective considering quite a few people still troll regularly, and quite a few people have been collecting bans like they're pokémon. It's not a punishment. It's a joke.

Be strict. Be consistent. Be fair.
    That's how you moderate a community.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
    #51 kukelekuuk, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    I understand what you are saying, however, I do feel that tempbans might be best for the first one or two infractions. Brand new players are more likely to come back if the process is simpler and will provide some relief for the amount of forum appeal work.
    Trolls will be trolls and you are exactly correct - After the two tempbans the ban system is the only way to stop it - with increasing time per ban.
    Our staff will never be perfect as they are humans first - before staff. You are exactly correct about the consistency though. I know that many of our staff are young and have friendships on the server, however, I agree it would be for the better of all if punishment is level among all staff and against all players.
    tl:dr
    Be strict. Be consistent. Be fair.
    That's how you moderate a community. :D

13. GhostsJack01

GhostsJack01 Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

Ratings:
    +50
    I personally disagree with the rule against swearing. I don't personally think it shouldn't be allowed unless directed at another player. For example, saying 'fuck' or 'shit' because something has happened, for example flying into lava, should be allowed to a certain degree as long as it Is not excessive.

14. a_man21

a_man21 a_manda
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ I ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Sorry, but I just don't see what censoring it is supposed to accomplish. If someone in global says "what the f*ck," you are saying that is fine, but "what the fuck" is not allowed? Are people seriously going to see the first message and say "oh my gosh, what could possibly be behind that asterisk?!?!" People aren't stupid, they are going to know what someone meant, and censoring is not going to solve anything. In the past censoring it was still considered using the word when it came to directed/inappropriate/whatever language, so I don't understand why it is legal now. In my opinion either allow it with no censorship or not allow it at all.

I do agree with the new VIP rules, chat in general has been a huge mess and I'm glad that the rules are finally being changed to try and fix it.

#54 a_man21, Apr 28, 2017
  15. rsdworker

rsdworker Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Resident ⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +60
    i would oppose the swearing change rule - because if you are swearing - its affects on people - like in real life - you get in trouble if excessfully swearing and do rude things - the swearing should be remained prohibited to protect people from harm
    also if you censor the word - such Fuck - its best is not use it - people will know what its means

here a good example - new rules affects but people still have feelings about swearing
    https://www.ecocitycraft.com/forum/threads/user-complaint-ghostsjack01.165213/#post-922056
    see the last post - see how he was feeling - its not acceptable to have swearing in ECC

#55 rsdworker, Apr 28, 2017
  16. Stillwoke

Stillwoke Builder
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Mayor ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $0
    Ratings:
    +61
    I think the rule change is fantastic and even beneficial for the ECC community. Removing harmful words from the usable vocabulary just removes a threatening environment and it makes younger kids feel like they're in a much safer space. Minecraft after all is really for kids and with that being said they should be accommodated properly given that they are the kids, and Andrew in this case is an adult. It's just better off to keep all the swearing out of global chats it makes ECC as a whole look like a respectful and well off community, and things like that get around trust me. +1 for no swearing and I'm real happy I joined just as this happened:smug:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Potato Potato x 1
    • List
  17. Frostystorm1

Frostystorm1 BulletClub ︻╦╤─ | Former Senior Super Moderator
    Builder ⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +1,095
    +1000 i cannot agree enough. I haven't been really clear about my point, but this is essentially what I was saying. Be strict about the right things not the wrong things.

#57 Frostystorm1, Apr 28, 2017
  18. Jacob43365

Jacob43365 EcoLeader
    EcoLeader ⛰️⛰️⛰️ Ex-President ⚒️⚒️

EcoDollars:
    $4,850,049
    Ratings:
    +495
    Yeah seriously. This is open to abuse. I can break rules 21 times and only a 6 day tempban? What a joke. This should be half that time.

19. AdmiralD

AdmiralD IsleTradingCo
    President ⛰️⛰️ Ex-EcoLegend ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Prestige ⭐ V ⭐ Premium Upgrade

Ratings:
    +4,290
    A very special thank you to our admin and staff team for the hard work they do for us every day. My personal opinion (and not popular with everyone here) is that chat is much improved and much less toxic.
    Please know that you are appreciated for trying different things to improve our server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  20. _expensive

_expensive Mayor
    Mayor ⛰️⛰️ Ex-Tycoon ⚜️⚜️⚜️

Ratings:
    +203
    I don't talk in global much/at all and I just went on ecc and noticed how friendly global was, I actually felt welcomed to talk to people. I also saw people helping out some builders and making them feel welcomed. So far this looks pretty good lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List